Monday, December 6, 2010

In medias res

Translating Peter Kreeft's Before I Go has opened my eyes.
I've always thought that abortion was a surgical procedure just like any other. It would free the woman of an unwanted growth, a blob of tissue, a cluster of cells, like a tumor. Well, obviously I haven't paid any attention at biology and science classes.
Before abortion was legalized, "all science texts taught the biological truism that the life of any individual of any species begin at conception, when sperm and ovum unite to create a new being with its OWN COMPLETE and UNIQUE genetic code, distinct from both father and mother" - Peter Kreeft.
So when do we become human? Even pro-abortionists argue on that matter. Why is it legal to "terminate a pregnancy" (oh, how I hate this euphemism) up until birth in one country and up until only 12 weeks in an other?
The other thing around which I can't wrap my mind is the notion of viability. When does a human being become viable? A child is dependent on its mother not only inside the womb but outside, too.
There's so much I want to say about abortion and life in general. I thought that a good way to relieve my mind is to put it out there. I'm stuck online most of the time anyway. I might as well make use of it.
Finally a video, which made me realize that abortion is not simply a process to remove the contents of the uterus...
http://www.silentscream.org/video1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment